Pesto is one of my favorite things to eat. Maybe it has something to do with it’s ability to go with just about anything, including pizza, pasta, seafood, chicken and more. However, sometimes I do wish for a little change-of-pace and that is what led me to create this concoction. All the major pesto components are in there: cheese, olive oil, garlic and pine nuts. The only things we do differently is to swap out the basil for cilantro, add a jalapeno in for spice and some lime juice for a bit of acidic bite. In about five minutes, you’ll have yourself a tasty pesto with a bit of “pop” to it that is lacking in the standard pesto.
Everyone Into the Pool
As long as you can measure ingredients out and shred cheese, this is such a dead simple recipe. Let’s start out by taking a look at all the ingredients we need:
Now, its as simple as dumping all of our ingredients (minus the olive oil) into our favorite food processor and pulsing to combine, after a few minutes you should have something that resembles this:
Once you’ve added in the olive oil, transfer your pesto to a bowl and refrigerate until you are ready to use it. Personally, I like to make this about 24 hours before using it so all the flavors get a chance to get acquainted with each other.
What to Put It On?
Now that you have a zesty take on pesto, I’m sure your next question is, “What should I put this on?” Great question! I think it would taste great on a wide variety of foods. Here are a few ideas:
- Mix this in with shrimp while they cook to make awesome shrimp tacos
- Grill a skirt/flank steak and top it with this pesto
- Brush over kabobs while cooking
- For the vegetarians out there, mix this into a vegetable stir fry
I went ahead and made a few pork chops and added a big dollop to each chop after they were done cooking. Wanna see it in action?
- One Bunch of Cilantro
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Jalapeno
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons Pine Nuts
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- Salt & Pepper
- Measure out all ingredients
- Put everything except the olive oil in your food processor
- Pulse to combine
- Drizzle in the olive oil as the machine runs to ensure complete incorporation
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Move to a bowl and stash in the fridge until ready for use
You can be sure I’ll Cook That again.