Another week, another post to help you get your snack on. As I was happily chomping down on these sweet, spicy and candied nuts on Saturday I came to the conclusion that this is basically grown-up peanut brittle. Instead of there being just a few nuts and tons of brittle, there was a ton of nuts with a bit of brittle to make it sweet, but not overwhelming. Even better, instead of there being only peanuts, this mix had almonds, pistachios and pecans thrown in for good measure.
There isn’t too much that needs to be said to set the stage so why don’t we just go ahead and get down with some nuts!
As I mentioned above, I used a mix of almonds, pistachios and pecans. If one or two of those nuts are not your first choice, then feel free to substitute them with a nut of your choice. I thought about using cashews initially but decided against them because they are already quite sweet. So, I just stuck with what the recipe told me to do. One side note: you will usually find both whole pistachios or pistachio meat (AKA the shell was removed for you). I opted for a bit of manual labor and cost savings by buying the whole pistachios. I won’t judge you (too much) if you want to save your fingers and a few minutes by buying just the pistachio meat.
There isn’t much else to say. Well, except that the next time you are having some folks over to watch football, play games or just hang out you need to make these. Your guests will love you for it. Trust me.
- ½ Cup Almonds
- ½ Cup Pistachios
- ½ Cup Pecans
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar (regular ol' table sugar)
- Start by adding the butter to a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat
- Add in the brown sugar, salt and cayenne pepper as the butter is melting, mix thoroughly together
- Once the butter is completely melted, pour in your nuts, stirring until completely coated
- Line a sheet pan/baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the nuts out on a single layer
- Bake in a 350° oven for 18 minutes, tossing once at the halfway mark
- Let the nuts cool until cool to the touch
- Break up the nuts into small clusters and transfer to a bowl
- Add ¼ cup granulated sugar and toss to combine
- Nothing is left except eating!!